I don’t mean YOU, I do need YOU. Today I’m thinking about THINGS I don’t need. Please to enjoy.
- I don’t need you, Fine China. I have three children, so when do really expensive, really breakable dishes become handy? When I want to feel fancy we get out candles and cloth napkins. Done. That’s as fancy as I get.
- I don’t need you, Valentine’s Day. My husband loves me well year round, so don’t go marketing yourself all cheap and easy like with flowers and chocolates. A gift he doesn’t have to put thought into isn’t a gift I want.
- I don’t need you, New Year’s Eve. You’re just a flip of the calendar just like the other eleven months. And, by the way, my kids will be up by 7am regardless, so I will be in bed long before midnight. But don’t worry, I’ll still kiss my husband first – I can do that anytime.
- I don’t need you, color-coordinated holidays. I can’t wear pink or red on Valentine’s Day (you already know my thoughts about you), green on St. Patrick’s Day, red/white/blue on the Fourth of July – I just can’t. I will plan my wardrobe accordingly if we’re traveling during those days just to make sure I don’t accidentally wear those colors. That would be so embarrassing. **I don’t care if others wear those colors, I don’t make fun of them, they can wear whatever they want. So can I.
- I don’t need you, traditions that make no sense to me. Cutting the cake at a wedding? Why? Why are you a big deal? I can’t bring myself to stand in a crowd for something I can’t see anyway to take a picture of you eating cake. I’m still happy for your wedding and marriage, and I’ll still enjoy the cake, I just don’t get this tradition. **This is not meant to take away from you doing this at your wedding, it’s your wedding! Do what you want!
I know there are more, I’m sure my husband could quickly add to this list. But for now that’s the end of my rant. What about you? What don’t you need?